Page 1 of 4 pages
(25 stories)
  • Avenel: Mr Eneas John Lorenz Buried Tuesday 17 April 1945 A former well known resident of Avenel, and later of Stanhope, ... read story
  • Avenel: Hamper Fund American Tea On Saturday afternoon the Comforts Fund held its annual effort to raise funds to send every ... read story
  • Avenel: School Bazaar and Auction Following is a list of prize winners at the Bazaar, also the stall holders and gross ... read story
  • Avenel: Red Cross The Annual meeting of the Avenel branch of the Red Cross Society was held in the Oddfellows Hall, ... read story
  • Avenel : Concert. The school concert held in aid of the Department War Funds, was an unqualified success. The ... read story
  • Obituary Mrs Louisa Hollaway: Obituary Mrs Louise Myra Hollaway Buried 28 August 1939 Mrs Hollaway of Hume Hwy, Avenel, and a sister of Cr R.... read story
  • The Origins of Avenel: NOTES ON AVENEL THE ORIGINS "Avenel Run" Pastoral Holding 60,000 acres was taken up by Henry Kent Hughes in 1838 ... read story
  • The Pastoral Review - 1948 - Rabbits: The Pastoral Review 1948: The legend that rabbits were introduced into Australia for sporting purposes dies hard. A glance ... read story

Narrow the stories:

- click on a year

- click on a type of place

The Origins of Avenel (1985)

contributed by greenfingers
(contact greenfingers about this story | see more stories from greenfingers)

Avenel Cemetery - Gazetted 1863 - 5 Acres - 8 of 8 images

NOTES ON AVENEL

THE ORIGINS

Avenel Cemetery - Gazetted 1863 - 5 Acres - 4 of 8 images

"Avenel Run" Pastoral Holding 60,000 acres was taken up by

Avenel Rear of the Court House and Police Residence showing the remains of the seperate kitchen. Building has been renovated and is looked after by Avenel Neighbourhood House.

Henry Kent Hughes in 1838 and named after his former property "Avenel" in England. Hughes also gave his name to the creek running through the property.

Avenel Railway Sation as it was in the early days. Opened in 1872 and Mangalore extension added in 1880. Included a goods shed (pulled down) Waiting Room, Ticket Office, Signal Box, & Station Master's Residence (long Gone). All that remains is the Ticket Office & Signal Box

It was known as a stopping place for travellers from the early 1840s

Avenel Primary School playground - totally different  to what is seen today

THE TOWN TODAY

Avenel Went to New Zealand to look for work, when war broke out joined the R.N.A.F. then served with the RAF, killed on a training flight 8 Jun 1944, aged 25, on St Kilda an Island off the far North of Scotland. Flight Sgt Oliver George (Ted) Reed.

Bank Street - North Side

Avenel Service Men from Avenel - Taken from "Avenel Snipperts" Courtesy Euroa Gazette Newspaper, Spelling Mistakes are mine not the Newspapers. 
                                                              Page 3

Golf Club

Avenel Harvest Home Hotel Built in 1872 by George Stewart as a single storey hotel. Second floor plus balcony and verandah added approx 1915. De licensed in 1927, and then e. Hollaway conducted a grocery store and then by the Vearing Family. Upstairs was the accomadation.

Established approx 1912 on Avenel Race Course

Avenel Racecourse showing grandstand & track. Last horse race meeting conducted in 1941. Site used at varying times for athletics, gymkhana, cricket and annual fund raising community BBQ's for funding of the Memorial Hall and Swimming Pool. During World War 2 an air raid shelter dugout was established close to the Northern Boundry.

Last horse race meeting conducted 1941

Avenel Grain Store in Bank St, build approx 1870 by G. Morrison and used to recieve grain transported by road from the Goulburn Valley. Later used as a Blackmiths shop by W. McKay and then by Shelton Baker & Co. as a motor repair workshop and in recent times by G & E Baker as a Stock & Station agency. Has been converted into a private residence. (saved from destruction)

Site used at various times for athletics, gymkhana, cricket and annual fund raising community barbeques (source of funding for the RSL Memorial Hall and

the Swimming Pool.

Avenel Waste Collection during 2nd World War in Avenel

During World War II an air raid shelter dugout was established close to the northern boundary

Avenel Site of the Plough Inn, of which I have never seen a photo of the buisness. Any photo's of the Plough Inn gratefully accepted.

Site of Plough Inn

Avenel Queen St looking west down towards the cemetery, Post Office on right of image

Bank of Victoria - Office and Manager's Residence

Avenel Imperial Hotel Original 2 storey hotel built 1872 by Esau Shelton. Destroyed by fire in 1946. Licence tranfered to the Commercial Hotel formerly the Avenel Arms in 1932 by T. Bolton

Built 1873 closed 1882 - now private residence.

Avenel Same Building as grain store but image was taken when buisness was Stock & Station Agent and sold fuel as well. Shelton & Baker were the owners

Grain Store

Avenel Interior of the Post Office - which is now closed in its present location and moved across to the Newsagents & Groceries. Hails & Nails and Avenel Country Kitchens (extension Built On) is in this building.

Built early 1870s. by G Morrison and used to receive grain transported by road from the Goulburn Valley (route taken now known as Murchison Road)

Avenel Monument in Bank St was later removed to Jubilee Park when 2nd railway line was added

Later used as blacksmith shop by W McKay, subsequently by Shelton Baker and Co as a motor repair workshop and in recent times by G & E Baker as a stock and station agency.

Butcher Shop Avenel Commenced buisness in 1987, the last remaining butchers Shop still in buisness

Butcher Shop

Avenel Plummers Kitchen, Dick & Margery Webster lived in this tiny house before the main house was built.

Built 1950s by Smith and Ryan to replace old shop further to the East.

Avenel A copy of the original bakery in Bank St, has over the years been used by different people to try and run small buisness's, none sucessfull. Was part of the Harvest Home complex,  accomadation inside, slept here and had meals etc in the Harvest Home. Harvest Home have new owners as of 19 Jun 2010.

Baker's Shop and Bakery

Avenel Early image Post Office - Built 1880 - bottom left hand corner, part of the horse hitching rail. Right of image part picture of railway house - demolished to make way the the additional railway line.

Built 1930s by the Underwood family - now private residence

Avenel Gadd Brothers General Merchants

Underwood's General Store

Avenel Royal Mail Hotel built by J. Hilet approx 1852. Used as a coaching chance station for Express Coaches and other travellers to & from the North East Goldfields. Later owned by F. Ruffy who gave his name to the town "Ruffy" in the Strathbogie Ranges to the North. Later still it was purchased by Esau Shelton and was operated by the Shelton Family until it closed as a hotel in 1903. It has been maintained as a private residence and the site now includes the original railway single box from Mangalore.

Built by Richard James Underwood Operated as "Underwood Cash Store" with slogan - "Bedrock Prices" - ceased as a shop in 1916 subsequently used as a

Avenel  Arrived in Avenel in 1870 - The house of Edward Plummer and his wife Louisa Letitia had 9 children but only 5 survived. The Plummer family moved to Winterfold in 1880, wife died in 1886 aged 38 and Edward died in 1926. This house was 2 rooms with a corridor between, tiny by today standards.

private residence by decedents of the Underwood family.

Oddfellow's Hall Site (MUIOOF)

Avenel Harvest Home left of image
Oddfellows Hall (2 building right of Image) demolished 1980 by order of council. Used as a raincoat  factory in the 1940's anf then converted to a private residence

Hall demolished in 1980 on instructions from Shire Health Officer and Housing Commission. Used for a raincoat factory in the 1940s and subsequently converted to a private residence.

Avenel Bank St, roofing under the iron had wattle for and the building was empty for many years but has been restored but  many of the old features gone, an extension has been added at the rear, but still keeps its original charm

Original Underwood family butcher shop site

Avenel Royal Mail Hotel - Old Hume Highway

Imperial Hotel Site (Cnr Bank Street and Murchison Road)

Avenel Interior of the Post Office - which is now closed in its present location and moved across to the Newsagents & Groceries. Hails & Nails and Avenel Country Kitchens (extension Built On) is in this building.

Original 2 storey hotel built 1872 by Esau Shelton. Destroyed by fire in 1946

Avenel Houses from the past - images on right of picture - long gone

Licence was transferred to the Commercial Hotel (formerly the Avenel Arms) in 1932 by T Bolton

Bank Street - South Side

Avenel This building was next to the Original Harvest Home Hotel, there were a number of wooden buildings including the bank. Chinese Fruit & Vegetable Shop, Charlie Lim Lam who also made pies & ice cream for sale - vegetables from the Chinese Market gardens on the Goulburn River at Nagambie (Chinaman's Bridge), Brailey, Confectionary, and newsagent Hook. This building was replaced with an extension to the Harvest Home (kitchen) and a concrete building block structure, and next door to that the Bank.

Among the businesses operated in this area and of which there is now no evidence were: Chinese Fruit & Vegetable Shop (Charlie ) Lim Nam who also made pies and ice cream for sale - vegetables came from Chinese market gardens on the Goulbourn River at Nagambie (Chinaman's Bridge), Cobbler(Braily),Confectionery, Newsagent (Hook), various hotels and wine saloons

Avenel Harvest Home when it caught fire approx 1981. Building was in disuse until bought and taken over by Suzie McKay, fine dining and good accomadation. Buisness has new owners.

Harvest Home Hotel

Avenel Originally Church of England and now the Uniting Church which has recently had an extension added between the Church & Hall

Built 1872 by Geo. Stewart as a single storey hotel. Second floor plus balcony and verandah was added approximately 1915 using materials from the original

Avenel The Anglican Church as it originally was, picket fence & hedge

Anglican Church in Ash Street.

Avenel First Post Office, early 1850's, built by William Campion who conducted a store & library on this site, original site demolished and new building erected now a private residence.

De-licensed in 1927, it was conducted as a grocery and general store, first by E Holloway and subsequently by the Vearing family Now operated as a Hotel Restaurant and accommodation facility.

License re-established in 1993.

Avenel The Commercial Bank opened in 1873 closed in 1985, the first Manager was Mr Gibbs, original wooden building burnt down early 1940's. Deeded to Avenel Historical Society (no longer in operation) and brought by the Harvest Home complex, which was recently sold.

Westpac Bank Agency (Originally the Commercial Bank)

Avenel Railway Station from a different angle

Opened 1873 closed 1985 - First Manager Mr Gibbs .Original wooden building destroyed by fire early 1940s .Deeded to the Avenel Historical Society

Presbyterian Church

Avenel Service Men from Avenel - Taken from "Avenel Snipperts" Courtesy Euroa Gazette Newspaper, Spelling Mistakes are mine not the Newspapers. 
                                                              Page 1

Built 1885, closed 1970 as a result of Church amalgamations. First Service 29/11/1885. Earlier services had been conducted at the Good Templars Hall,

Avenel Early image of the Imperial Hotel, (right of image), but then later on the licence was transfered back to the old Hume Hwy and the building used as a private residence. Like a lot of the old wooden buildings it burnt down, and the site is now vacant land.

since incorporated in the Memorial Hall in Queen Street .Now a private residence

Avenel Railway Station - Station Master Sam Bollard - 1942 - 1964

Railway Station

Avenel Railway Goods Shed - Long gone

Originally included Goods Shed (on west side of lines), Waiting Room, Ticket Office, Signal Box and Station Master's Residence. The Ticket Office and Signal Box remain

Avenel Modern day what was the Imperial Hotel now known as the Avenel Pub, don't like the colour, too drab.

Murchison Road -For a period, known as Cranky Lane

Avenel Front View of the Avenel Pub - still owned by a Shelton.

Route taken by wagons transporting produce between Avenel Rail Head and the Goulburn Valley

Avenel Very early image of the Avenel Primary School

East Side - Early Post Office - Now private residence

Avenel Taken from Rail Crossing looking down Queen St, Gadds on left & Post Office right of image

Queen Street - West Side

Avenel Post Office

Post Office

Avenel Queen St - Gadds Store left of image and Post Office right of image. All the trees shown in image have gone

Built 1892 to standard PMG specifications and included a manual telephone exchange Now operating as a privately owned Licensed Post Office.

Avenel John Pratt residence cnr Shelton & Livingstone Sts. This image was done by a travelling artist who also drew a picture of the Flour Mill (Long Gone) and was paid 5 Pounds for his trouble.

Blacksmith's Shop and residence

Avenel Whiteman's Garage - Old Hume Hwy - now in disrepair

Built 1870s, also later operated as a motor repair garage

Avenel C. T. Gadd, General Merchants, shop & residence right of image, People out front might be Shelton's

Now private residence

Catholic Church

Avenel Very early image of Hughes Creek showing Royal Mail Hotel middle right of image

Built on present site early 1900s after being transferred from its original Sydney Road location

Avenel Went to New Zealand to look for work, when war broke out joined the R.N.A.F. then served with the RAF, killed on a training flight 8 Jun 1944, aged 25, on St Kilda an Island off the far North of Scotland. Flight Sgt Oliver George (Ted) Reed.

Avenel Rural Fire Brigade

Avenel John Pratts flour mill block of Livingstone & Shelton Sts - destroyed by fire - same as image of the colour residence

Erected on present site. Previous location Livingstone Street south of Mitchell Street Queen Street East Side

Newsagency and Milk Bar

Avenel Same building - the long one,  rusted red roof, showing the original wattle as it looked before the iron was added, this feature has also been removed but is there for all to see in future years - not any more its not the shingles have been removed & burnt, but the shape of the original building remains

Established on present site late 1940s by Terry and Gloria Smith . General store established on this site 1870s by S Tonkin was destroyed by fire in the 1930s and business re-opened in de-licensed Harvest Home Hotel building in Bank St.,

Avenel Police Residence as it once looked.

Gadd's Store and attached residence

Avenel The original site where William Campion Registrer of B. D. & M. - at present under a sentence of death as the garage on the Hume Freeway wishes to demolish it to expand their truck  parking - we shall wait & see

Established by W B Gadd in 1870 and has remained in the Gadd family until present (1995)

Gadd Family Residence

Built late 19th century -at one time used as a confectionery store

Bowling Green

Established by voluntary effort 19 Land owned at that time by Blanche Shelton, a member of the Gadd family.

Anglican Church

Avenel DVD of Avenel - Changes Over The Years 3 Hours duration using video footage from 1991, and 2005  and still images from 1852 to present day.

Originally built in Ash Street in 1873, shifted to its present site in 1914.

R S L Memorial Hall

Present hall additions built 1963 by local fund raising efforts and Government Grant. After completion, ownership was transferred to the Shire of Seymour.

Avenel Court House - building dates back to 1874, John (Red) kelly was convicted of cattle stealing in this court and was held temporarily in the adjoining lockup .

Building incorporates original "Good Templars" hall erected on this site 1870s

Uniting Church (Former Methodist Church)

Originally established in Ash Street in 1870 , was transferred to its present site

approximately 1914.

Avenel Images from the past - Thomas & Maria Bolton - Owners of Imperial Hotel - Old Hume Hwy - Image Hotel - Image of the Persons - Cemetery Headstone in Cemetery

Lawn Cemetery

Avenel Avenel Celebrations - Weekly Times -Saturday 3 September 1938

Established 1988 - part of Avenel's 150th celebrations.

Avenel Lawn Cemetery

General Cemetery

Established 1863 . Many of the early settlers are interred here and also includes the graves of Arthur Bayley (Discoverer of gold at Coolgardie W A who later

Avenel Gordon Herbert Alexander died Kew of Broncho Pneumonia 18 Oct 1929, father George Mother Mary E. Price, born Avenel 1915.

owned the Avenel Estate grazing property and the Imperial Hotel in Bank Street) together with that of John(Red) Kelly, father of bushranger Ned.

Avenel House  from the past - Long Gone

Court House

Avenel  Replaced the burnt out building next to the Bank

Said to have been built 1854 Probably on a site in Ash Street - On the National Historic Register. Present building dates from 1874.

Avenel John (Red) Kelly - father to Ned Kelly buried Avenel Cemetery

John (Red) Kelly was convicted of cattle stealing in this court an was held temporarily in the adjoining lockup - since taken to the Melbourne Police Museum

Police Dwelling

Built 1870s, closed 1967.

Swimming Pool

Built 19 by local fund raising efforts and contribution of labour Currently operated by local committee with financial support from the Shire

Avenel A lonely grave oposite the Avenel Pub seemed he drowned in the creek in 1852, Morris Levy, but why was he not buried in the cemetery which ahd just opened.

Land from Jubilee Street to Hughes Creek Much of this land was held on Crown Grant by the Fontana family (Migrants from Italy) who established a vineyard in 1870s which continued until vines

Avenel W. B. Gadd General Merchants - Queen St

were destroyed by disease in 1920s. Their original home (Cnr Pinniger and Queen Streets) was destroyed by fire in the early 1930s.

Avenel Went to New Zealand to look for work, when war broke out joined the R.N.A.F. then served with the RAF, killed on a training flight 8 Jun 1944, aged 25, on St Kilda an Island off the far North of Scotland. Flight Sgt Oliver George (Ted) Reed.

Ewings Road - North Side

Junior Cricket Oval

(Opposite end Livingstone Street) on land owned by the Shelton family

Ewings Road - South Side

Basket Ball Courts

Established on present site in Jubilee Park 19 . Transferred from previous site

on the Recreation Reserve in Anderson Street

Avenel Went to New Zealand to look for work, when war broke out joined the R.N.A.F. then served with the RAF, killed on a training flight 8 Jun 1944, aged 25, on St Kilda an Island off the far North of Scotland. Flight Sgt Oliver George (Ted) Reed.

Jubilee Street - North Side

Tennis Courts

Established on present site 19 by local fund raising and voluntary labour Transferred from original site next to Uniting Church

Livingstone Street - West Side

War Memorial

Shifted from its original site at the cnr of Bank Street, Murchison Road and Saleyard Road in 19 .

Jubilee Park

Avenel Railway House - Long Gone

Bounded by Queen Street, Ewing’s Road, Livingstone Street and Jubilee Street This area includes Court House, Police Dwelling, Swimming Pool, Tennis Courts

War Memorial, Basketball Courts, Playground and Public Toilets - was formerly the Police Paddock

Stewart Park

Avenel Hughes Creek Bridge

Includes at entrance Monument to Hume and Hovel who passed through area in 1824 and grave of Morris Levy who drowned while crossing Hughes Creek

Avenel Cemetery Porcelain images under glass which are slowly disappearing.

in 1854

Livingstone Street - East Side

Avenel Houses From the Past

Avenel Primary School No .8

Avenel Obituary Mr Charles Thomas Gadd

Main building established 1874 - Schools were operated in Avenel from 1856 when a bark building South side if Mitchell Street was used - other sites were North side of Mitchell Street and in Livingstone Street opposite the present building.

Avenel Gordon Herbert Alexander's parents George & Mary E. Nee Prince

Anderson Street Avenel Sportsground Established 19

Avenel station

Home of Avenel Football Club (The Swans) and Cricket Club

Mitchell Street - South Side

First Post Office - Early 1850s -

Built by William Campion who also conducted a store and library on this site Now private residence

Avenel Primary School sports oval looking towards the buildings. The huge oak tree centre of image still stands in 2010

Whiteman's Garage Established 1930s by H Whiteman of Locksley who also later established garages in Seymour, Tallarook and Broadford. Unused for many years but still kept in good order by its present owner.

Avenel Hughes Creek Bridge

Stone Bridge

Avenel Hughes Creek Bridge Looking Northbound

Commenced late 1850s to replace existing wooden bridge over Hughes Creek Completed 1860. Replaced in use by present concrete structure 19

Avenel Accomadation at rear of Royal Mail Hotel - 1 of 3 images

Royal Mail Hotel

Avenel Royal Mail Hotel - Old Hume Hwy - the resident's of the Shelton's.

Built by J Hilet approx 1852. Used as a coaching change station for Express Coaches and other travellers to and from the North East Gold Fields. Later owned by F Ruffy who gave his name to the town of "Ruffy" in the Strathbogie Ranges to the North. Later still, it was purchased by Esau Shelton and was operated by the Shelton family until it closed as an hotel in 1903.

Avenel Loading wheat in the Avenel Railway yards under supervision of W. B. Gadd.

Since its closure, it has been maintained as a private residence and the site now includes the original railway signal box from Mangalore.

Avenel Went to New Zealand to look for work, when war broke out joined the R.N.A.F. then served with the RAF, killed on a training flight 8 Jun 1944, aged 25, on St Kilda an Island off the far North of Scotland. Flight Sgt Oliver George (Ted) Reed.

Mitchell Street - North Side

Avenel Postal Services Booklet - Victoria - 1906 - Page 6

Imperial Hotel (Originally The Avenel Arms)

Avenel Diggle Record - Lottie Jane Whiteman

Built by Bignell in 1851. Used as the first Coaching Inn at Avenel.

Avenel Another Building in Bank St, has had renovations to keep the old look charm.

It was later renamed the Commercial and closed as an hotel in 1872 Remodelled and incorporating parts of the original building, it was re-opened with the licence transferred from the Imperial Hotel in Bank Street by T Bolton in 1932.

The Origins

Avenel Cemetery - Gazetted 1863 - 5 Acres - 7 of 8 images

"Avenel Run" pastoral holding 60,000 acres was taken up by Henry Kent Hughes in 1838 and named after his former property "Avenel" in England. Hughes also gave his name to the creek running through the property.

Avenel Diggle Record - Christian Victoria Robertson

It was known as a stopping place for travellers from the early 1840,s. Subsequent to that time, substantial buildings were added to the original huts and tents. Some of these are still in use -Royal Mail Hotel , 1852 to 1903 (now Coach House B&B) Depot for Express Coach to Beechworth Goldfields. Avenel Arms 1851 to 1872, Coaching Inn, used by gold and prisoner escorts. Re-opened 1932 with additions and using licence transferred from Imperial Hotel in Bank Street; Historic stone bridge over Hughes Creek completed 1860 replacing earlier wooden structure.

1870 onwards

Avenel Postal Services Booklet - Victoria - 1906 - Page 8

Railway extended to Avenel which became depot for Goulburn Valley Grain Harvest.

Bank St Avenel Taken from Queen St looking down Bank St. Harvest Home left of image

Commercial activity moved to Bank Street and North end of Queen Street.. Early buildings still existing: Harvest Home Hotel, 1870 to 1927. Now re-established as Harvest Home Country House B&B and licensed restaurant; Grain Depot; Underwood's General Store (now craft shop) Underwood's Bakery (1930's) now private dwelling; Bank of Victoria , 1873 to 1882; Commercial Bank of Australia Agency 1873 to 1985. Businesses included Chinese Greengrocery and Pie Shop; Boot maker; Newsagent; Confectionery shop, Wine Saloon (Luckinovic's):Plough Inn; Imperial Hotel; Gadd's General Store, 1870 to 1995: Wooden Post Office, Murchison Road followed by current brick Post Office in Queen Street built 1892.

Avenel Hughes Creek Hotel - long gone - located on Goulburn Valley Hwy, nothing there to show where it once existed

1880 Railway spur line to Goulburn Valley opened at Mangalore, thus reducing Avenel's importance and township slipped back.

1930s to 1970s Town partly re-established at original site due to rising importance of road travel and use of original Coach Road by Hume Highway to Sydney.

Avenel Postal Services Booklet - Victoria - 1906 - Page 1

1970s to 1999 Hume Freeway bypass has meant Avenel is no longer focussed on transport routes.

Avenel Hughes Creek - in flood - water only lasts a couple of days

Noteworthy early inhabitants and descendants: Edward (Ned) Kelly, his father, John (Red) Mother Ellen ; Arthur Bayley, discoverer of Gold at Coolgardie W.A; Wilfred Kent Hughes, Cabinet Minister Victoria State Government.

Donated by Ken Kibble

Is this story rude, offensive or defamatory; spam; or not about and/or of the place? If so, Report it