Page 1 of 1 pages
(1 pictures)
Picture relating to Roma - titled 'Locomotive named 'Pioneer' on the Western Railway construction site between Roma and Mitchell, ca. 1885'

Locomotive named 'Pioneer' on the Western Railway construction site between Roma and Mitchell, ca. 1885

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1885
(contact QldPics about this picture)


This locomotive named 'Pioneer' was one of two construction engines ordered by J. & A. Overend from the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, the two being shipped from the USA, July 1879, to Brisbane. 'Pioneer' was used on Overend's contract for construction of Section 1 of the Bundaberg Railway. In November 1881 it is recorded as being used by contractor Bashford on construction of the Sandgate line, then back to Bundaberg in 1883.

In 1885 it was working on the Western Railway construction between Roma and Mitchell, where this photo was taken. John Robb used it for his contract on the Cairns Range. It was then used by contractors McKenzie & Sutherland for construction of the third section of the Cairns Railway after which it was sold to the Chillagoe Mines and Railway Company and used on the construction of the Chillagoe Railway from Mareeba. It remained a unit of the Chillagoe Company's fleet of locomotives until 1919 when it was taken over by the Queensland Railways who numbered it 52 and classed it B14, being used for shunting at Townsville. It was withdrawn from service in August 1927.

This picture is also part of the Bonzle Railways (open in new window) photo collection.